Thursday 11 November 2010

stencil

Not sure where to draw the line between paper-cut and stencils... think they are the same thing, name just changing depending on what you do with them. We played around with stencils in class this week so I am calling this thread 'stencils' from now on.

A great tip I did learn at school was about applying paint to a stencil and how to reduce bleeding; use a dry brush, thick paint in very small quantities and stipple rather than brushing or sponging.


I stencilled some slip-cast pots with a wax solution before dipping in clear glaze - the glaze not sticking where there is wax so leaving a clear, un-glazed area. The wax will burn away and I should be left with white pots of even colour but small un-glazed portions which will only be noticeable by a change in texture. I will then smoke the pots and the smoke should only stick where there is no glaze...


I took a little inspiration from Antje Laidler's charcoal drawings as well as my earlier Portuguese tile beakers, keeping the shapes simple and geometric. The smoking should add an interesting random element.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.